Create production materials (U3: P4, M3)

Learning Outcome 3 (U3): Be able to create production materials for an original media product to a client brief.  

Taking the photographs:


Selection of Photogaphs:


Thumbnails:



Setting up the Front Page and Double Page spread: 



Final Chosen Photographs:


For the front cover of my magazine, “Wrapped Up” I choose to do my photoshoot in Camden with my chosen model.  I selected this photo as it was visually impactful due to the direct eye contact which connect’s and bonds the reader and guides our attention to the main focus of the image, our model.  Furthermore, I decided to use this photo for the front cover because the positioning of the model allows us to place the text on the negative space on left hand side.  The model placed on the far right allows us to maximise our view of the urban graffiti wall.  The fonts colours chosen work symbiotically with those in the graffiti background. 



For my double page spread, I had the space to use a full size photo of Zinky Wayne.  His relaxed posture with his hands slouched in his pockets and intense eye gaze at the camera made it an easy choice.  The photo was taken outside a different graffiti wall with a strong grunge, urban feel with represents the genre of rap. The angle of which this photo was taken shows his strong jawline, sleek hair and stern look which makes Zinky Wayne to appear moody and unpredictable. 

Body Copy = First Draft:

On the evening of his latest performance of his fourth coming tour we had the privilege of speaking to Zinky Wayne and were able ask him a few questions about his latest album release and his career path.  We caught up with him outside the music studious in Camden Town where he had just finished recording his latest up and coming album.  This was released only a few months ago and he is now busy performing on his current tour. I started off by asking Zinky Wayne about his inspiration for the new album and then moved on to  talking about his forthcoming tour.

Q: “When we start listening to your album we can automatically tell you focus on rap, in your previous album why did you decided to focus on this type of music?

A: “The genre of Rap has only recently become popular the last few years even though it’s been around for 20, therefore at a young age rap started to become noticeable and popular.  Because of this I got into the genre of rap as there was a diversity in music and knew there was a gap in the market for Rap to become popular, I also found rap to be a way to speak my mind with receiving very little judgment.

Q: “When writing the songs for your album what was your inspiration?”

A: “The majority of songs in my album focus on hard times which everyone goes through allowing my fans to relate to the lyrics as well as the heartbreak you may encounter throughout your life…  whilst trying to find the positive side.  From a young age I knew my life wouldn’t be as easy as everyone else’s and because of this I wanted my album to relate to my listeners and connect to whom may have felt the same as me.

Q: “Out of all the album names you could have chosen in the end  why did you decide to choose “Looking Up”?”

A: “When deciding what I should call my album, the first aspect I immediately knew that I wanted to choose a title which could be interpreted in my different ways, I wanted to make my fans really think about the title name as well as allowing them to get a brief idea about my album.  As I mentioned before I focus on the genre of rap as a way to speak my mind and because of this I wanted my fans to link Looking Up to the different challenges you may face in your life.” 

Q: “You are mid way through your tour, how has the beginning of your tour been?”

A: “Every country and state which I have visited the audience brings a different type of atmosphere and persona to the arena.  Walking onto the stage at the beginning of every concert the audience gets my heart racing brining me a large amount of joy.  The first half of my tour has been amazing and some of the best feeling and I hope the shows continue like this.”


Second Draft:


On the eve of his latest performance, new North London rap artist Zinky Wayne told us all about his latest album and how he became a UK rap sensation. 

We caught up with him outside his music studio in Camden Town just as he finished recording the up and coming album, which was released a few months ago. We started off by asking Zinky Wayne about his inspiration for the new album and then moved on to  talking about his forthcoming tour.

WU: “When we start listening to your album we can automatically tell you focus on rap, why did you decide to focus on this genre of music?

ZW: “The genre of Rap has become popular in the last few years in the UK, even though it’s been around for 30, therefore at a young age I became attracted to rap after listening to artists like Tupac and Dr Dre.  I found rap to be a good way to speak my mind with receiving very little judgement. I also realised there was a gap in the market for Rap to become popular in the UK.

WU: “When writing the songs for your album what was your inspiration?”

ZW: “The majority of songs in my album focus on hard times which everyone goes through allowing my fans to relate to the lyrics as well as the heartbreak you may encounter throughout your life…  whilst trying to find the positive side.  From a young age I knew my life wouldn’t be as easy as everyone else’s this is because I never knew exactly what I wanted to do when I was older and any bride idea which I had was shut down by peoples’s opinions and because of this I wanted my album to relate to my listeners and connect to whom may have felt the same as me.”
WU: “Out of all the album names you could have chosen in the end  why did you decide to choose “Looking Up”?”

ZW: “When deciding what I should call my album, I immediately knew that I wanted to choose a title which could be interpreted in different ways, I wanted to make my fans really think about the title name as well as allowing them to get a brief idea about my album.  As I mentioned before I focus on the genre of rap as a way to speak my mind and because of this I wanted my fans to be inspired by the name ‘Looking Up’ to face the different challenges in their life.” 

WU:  “In the previous question you mentioned that you had faced some challenges in your life, what’s a specific challenge you faced in your life”

ZW:  “Not many people know but when I was younger I had negligent parents who barely made any time for me this resulted in me feeling isolated and abandoned, ignoring this weight on my shoulder I struggled with with stage fright which was always a concern as I found expressing my self through music a coping mechanism.  Stage fright was an aspect of my life which kept holding me back prohibiting me to do things which I enjoyed, I had to find ways for me to cope as I knew my parents didn’t have time for me I had to find my own way to cope as this was one of the hardest aspect of my childhood which I faced.”

WU: “You are mid way through your tour, how has the beginning of your tour been?”

ZW: “Every city I have visited the audience brings a different type of atmosphere and persona to the arena.  Walking onto the stage at the beginning of every concert the audience gets my heart racing bringing me a large amount of joy. Whilst I have been on tour I have only had a few funny stories which have happened one being on the morning of my evening performance I felt myself loosing my voice as my fans mean so much to me I didn’t want to let them down so I decided to go on voice rest for the whole day.  Even though this might not sound funny I found it amusing whilst the rest of the crew were panicking frantically.”


WU:  “When you were on tour what did you like to do in your free time away from music”

ZW:  Even though music is my passion and every second of everyday resolves around music I like to distract myself by playing video games and chilling with my friends.  After every concert I would come back to the bus and sit for hours doing nothing but relaxing. 

Third Draft:

ZINKY WAYNE FINALLY SPEAKS

On the eve of his latest performance, new North London rap artist Zinky Wayne speaks to Wrapped Up about his latest album and how he became a UK rap sensation. 

We caught up with him outside his music studio in Camden Town just as he finished recording the up and coming album, which was released a few months ago. We started off by asking Zinky Wayne about his inspiration for the new album and then moved on to  talking about his forthcoming tour.

WU: “When we start listening to your album we can automatically tell you focus on rap, why did you decide to focus on this genre of music?

ZW: “The genre of Rap has become popular in the last few years in the UK, even though it’s been around for 30, therefore at a young age I became attracted to rap after listening to artists like Tupac and Dr Dre.  I found rap to be a good way to speak my mind with receiving very little judgement. I also realised there was a gap in the market for Rap to become popular in the UK.

WU: “When writing the songs for your album what was your inspiration?”

ZW: “The majority of songs in my album focus on hard times which everyone goes through allowing my fans to relate to the lyrics as well as the heartbreak you may encounter throughout your life…  whilst trying to find the positive side.  From a young age I knew my life wouldn’t be as easy as everyone else’s this is because I never knew exactly what I wanted to do when I was older and any bride idea which I had was shut down by peoples’s opinions and because of this I wanted my album to relate to my listeners and connect to whom may have felt the same as me.”
WU: “Out of all the album names you could have chosen in the end  why did you decide to choose “Looking Up”?”

ZW: “When deciding what I should call my album, I immediately knew that I wanted to choose a title which could be interpreted in different ways, I wanted to make my fans really think about the title name as well as allowing them to get a brief idea about my album.  As I mentioned before I focus on the genre of rap as a way to speak my mind and because of this I wanted my fans to be inspired by the name ‘Looking Up’ to face the different challenges in their life.” 

WU:  “In the previous question you mentioned that you had faced some challenges in your life, what’s a specific challenge you faced in your life”

ZW:  “Not many people know but when I was younger I had negligent parents who barely made any time for me this resulted in me feeling isolated and abandoned, ignoring this weight on my shoulder I struggled with stage fright which was always a concern as I found expressing my self through music a coping mechanism.  Stage fright was an aspect of my life which kept holding me back prohibiting me to do things which I enjoyed, I had to find ways for me to cope as my parents didn’t have time for me, so I had to find my own way to cope as this was one of the hardest aspects of my childhood.”

WU: “You are mid way through your tour, how has the beginning of your tour been?”

ZW: “Every city I have visited the audience brings a different type of atmosphere and persona to the arena.  Walking onto the stage at the beginning of every concert the audience gets my heart racing bringing me a large amount of joy. Whilst I have been on tour I have only had a few funny stories which have happened one being on the morning of my evening performance I felt myself losing my voice as my fans mean so much to me I didn’t want to let them down so I decided to go on voice rest for the whole day.  Even though this might not sound funny I found it amusing whilst the rest of the crew were panicking frantically.”


WU:  “When you were on tour what did you like to do in your free time away from music”

ZW:  Even though music is my passion and every second of everyday revolves around music 

Codes and Conventions:

I like to distract myself by playing video games and chilling with my friends.  After every concert I spend hours on Minecraft, which I find is a great escape.” 
Before taking this selection of photographs for my front cover and double page spread I planned the costume, location and where the images will be taken as well as the body copy.
  The first code and convention was the costume which my model is wearing.  As you can see in the photographs he is wearing matching hoodie and tracksuit, this resembles the epitome of the genre of rap as when associating with rappers you would imagine them wearing comfy and relaxed clothing.  The model is also wearing a black puffer jacket, this creates a direct link to the client brief as the magazine’s aim is to focus on North London and these jackets are very popular and commonly worn in North London.

Another code and convention was the models facial expression in these images.  As you can see he is pulling an impassive facial expression or could be said to be a stern straight face, this conveys the models true feelings and how he reacts to his surroundings. It was important that the model had this facial expression as we connect with him with an intensity similar to the music of rap. 

In addition, these images were taken in Camden Town, North London, in a side alley which was full of painted graffiti.  This area is known for Rap related music concerts which are recently performed.  This seemed the ideal onsite location as it fulfilled the client brief as well as it linking into my primary target audience of 16-22 year olds.  The graffiti wall was the ideal location for the shoot because of the bright and saturated colours and scruffy, impactful images which grabs the readers attention.

The final code and convention for this front cover and double page spread would be the body copy which is the text throughout the magazine.  On the front cover of “Wrapped Up” I wanted the puffs to have a clear link to the aim and genre of Rap by use of urban colours and fonts. For the double page spread the body copy is the Q and A with the local rapper Zinky Wayne.  Our detailed and informative interview with him highlights the success of his careers in the past few years and rise of his Rap music in North London.  This interview can only accelerate his success within the music industry allowing us to feature him and music artist such as Zinky Wayne in future addition of “Wrapped Up” increasing sales.  



Comments