Meeting the client brief (U3: P4, M4, D1)

Learning Outcome 4 (U3): Be able to carry out post-production techniques and processes for an original media product to a client brief.  

I have exported both front covers and double page spread as JPEG'S so they have been saved in a appropriate format for the client. This is a compressed file, which ensures that quality is kept but it loads quicker on a webpage.

Front Cover:



Double Page Spread:



Creating the front cover:

                                    

The first step in designing my front cover was to use the text box tool and make a list of relevant genres of rap and place this on the top of the image. 

The client brief mentions that for the exported media product we have been asked by The London Magazine to design and produce a new online and print magazine based and focused in North London.  This new magazine should highlight the very vibrant music scene in and around North London.

By adding these relevant sub genres of rap they link into the client brief because it highlights the vibrant music scene developing as these are popular and well liked music genres.  As well as this the font which I had chosen is a bold, daring font which links into the genre of rap, as rap has the connotations of this.  Therefore it links into the client brief as this is showcasing the up beat music scene.
 To continue after this I clicked on the shape tool on the tool bar on the left hand side.  After making this shape the right length and width to fit the text saying "free tickets available", as well as that I changed the direction of the shape tool therefore it would be placed at a diagonal angle which made this look like a banner.  

For the banner I chose the colour red as it's vibrant and striking therefore would catch the readers attention, as well as replicating many other relevant and coming genre based magazines.  This also links into the client brief given the fact the shape tool allows you to change the colour of the text and the colour red has an automatic link into the genre of Rap which is popular in North London.

And because of that the meaning behind choosing the colour red was to focus on the 'free tickets' which are available which is my magazines unique selling point. As red is a prominent colour which engages the readers attention.




On the bottom of the page, I used the text box again as this allowed me to write a list of relevant rap related artists which are especially popular and relevant in North London.  I added this to the bottom of the page as I aimed to make the front cover look symmetrical and in addition this list acts as a border.

 Following this I used the text box to design the title and masthead for my magazine cover "Wrapped Up".  The font which I decided to use was aaaright.  Cursive writing has the connotation of being smarter and neater which are more sophisticated and proper.  Because the text I chose is not cursive it links into rap as its scruffier and more creative.

By making the middle part of 'wrapped' yellow it draws attention to the word 'rap'. This makes it obvious to the reader the genre of the magazine as well as making the masthead stand out and does not overpower the title.  

The colour yellow has the appearance of freshness and energy, so when choosing this colour I knew that it would represent my magazine.  This is due to the fact I wanted to portray the genre of rap which people wouldn't automatically think of, therefore links into the client brief about a new vibrant scene developing.

Primarily the graffiti background is the most interesting aspect about the magazine cover.  The bright and saturated background colours are striking as well as linking into the primary target audience of 16-22 year olds.This background is an easy way to grab readers attendion as there is much to look at on the page.

This background and photograph was taken in Camden and therefore links into the client brief because it is popular town in North London where there is vibrant music scene.  Camden is a well known and is said to be a common place for my target audience. Therefore this links into the client brief as it is the first aspect of the magazine we can see.  Because of this you can see that the basis of the magazine is in North London, considering this it creates a direct link to North London.





Furthermore, after that I used the shape tool again and added two red boxes with information linking back to the client’s requesting the focus of the magazine being on North London.  

The font which I have chosen is sharp and bold as this is an interesting aspect of the magazine which I wanted to make clear about the aim of the magazine.  As well as that I also chose this font because of the serif font as this create a more professional and proper finish to the text.  Furthermore, this serif font also contrasts with connotation of rap as its known as a lively and vibrant genre, to continue this font also contrasts with the other vibrant son serif fonts which I had chosen such as the masthead.  Therefore this creates a up beat impression to the magazine as well as a degree of professionalism. 

The cover lines have a specific link to the brief.  By the mention of a ‘North London Based Magazine’ this is automatically linking my magazine to the client brief as it’s clear and comprehensible to the readers.
 I subsequently used the text box multiple times when creating the cover lines for the front cover of the magazine. When deciding what I wanted the cover lines to focus on I aimed to make a clear link to the rap artist/model Zinky Wayne.  The '20 years of rap', as well is highlighting the fact that the genre of rap has grown in popularity and followers.

To continue, when choosing what the cover lines should focus on I wanted to make a distinct link to the client brief mentioning the magazine should focus on a North London Magazine. Focusing on the new vibrant new music scene developing.  Therefore, this links to the client brief because the boldness and well defined font is showcasing the lively genre of rap.

The meaning behind the chosen fonts for the cover lines were to make the type face bold and eye catching for the readers as well as that when choosing the proportion for '20' the key aspect of this I wanted to emphasis was how long the genre has been around and primarily how this genre has changed the last few years.  The son-serif type face which I have chosen create a more casual and friendly feel as it contrasts well with the background, and lastly because of this creates an elegant tone to the image.
This is the final screen shot of my front cover which shall be printed. In this I added a barcode and made the colours in the background brighter and more saturated especially the yellow to compliment the yellow writing in the title as well as minimising the text on the right hand side.  I decided to make the background darker and more saturated so it would create a more grunge impression as the genre of rap is presented.  

As well as that the I also made these changes to link into the primary target audience of 16-22 year olds. This is because by using bright colours it is an easy way to grab their attention and standout from their surroundings, as well as these colours having a powerful affect on your emotions by giving the image more energy therefor linking into rap as rap is full of energy and vitality.

Lastly, I was able to link the front cover of the magazine to the client brief due to many factors. The main being the colour choice and the darkened tint placed on top of the image.  As increased the contrast and made the image shaper as a result linking the front cover about the genre of rap about Zinky Wayne to the client brief.

Creating the double page spread:
When creating my double page spread you can see that the first step is very different from the last. On the left hand side I wanted to include some words which are relevant to the genre of rap and which sums up that type of music.  I did this by choosing five prominent words as well as including the rap artists name.  I decided to use a mint green and yellow text box behind the text as these two colours are included in the painted graffiti background therefore they blends into the background and in addition these colours compliment one another.

These five prominent words link into the client brief and they also showcase the vibrant music scene developing in North London.



For this step I included the first draft for my question and answer about Zinky Wayne.  I added one large text box to the right of the double page spread and came up with a few questions I asked him.  The reason why the first draft is different to the last is because it is difficult to see the writing against the graffiti background, as they don't contrast well together, due to the fact the yellow text isn't dark enough to read.

The meaning behind basing my magazine on a question and answer is it makes the magazine more interesting and allows the readers to connect and relate to the artist.  In addition it gives the reader some in-site about the artist allowing the readers to connect with him. 

This relates to the client brief as these questions shows their readers how the vibrant music scene which is developing in North London, this is primarily due to the fact that these images were taken in Camden as well as multiple questions focusing on North London and the artists heritages. 
As you can see I then moved the model more to the left hand side without stretching the image so there would be more space for the text on the right, as well as making the image look less centred resulting in it looking more interesting.  As well as that I also included a quote from the artist.  I did this to link to the client brief by showing that the genre of rap is an evolving genre and become more people in time therefore is showing the vibrant music scene which is growing.

As well as that in this image I also used the burn tool, which is a tool on the left hand side to darken the image, especially around the bright coloured background therefore it would enhance and saturate the colour creating a larger contrast between one another, the meaning behind this was to create a darker grungier feel to the image which would enhance the texture to make the image more interesting, as a grungier feel links into the genre fo rap as rap has the connotation of a dark and one tone genre.


The last screen shot for my double page spread, I decided to make the large text into three separate columns where I shall place my text into it as well as placing a three white shaped boxes behind the text. Allowing the reader to see the background behind it, this is because from this it is clearer to see the text.  Furthermore, I also added a title for the question and answer so the reader is able to see what it's focusing on before reading.  As well as highlighting that Zinky Wayne is the main focus of the magazine.

I created the text box behind the writing by using the shape tool.  The meaning behind filling this shape with the colour white is due to the fact that white is a neutral colour therefore resulting in it not clashing with other colours.  In this double page spread you can see many different colours from the background, to the model and then from the text therefore by making the text boxes white our attention is drawn to this bright, straight forward colour.


Lastly, the client brief mentions that my magazine 'wrapped up' should showcase the vibrant music scheme which is developing in North London.  Therefore from this you can see that by using a question and answer about Zinky Wayne this is showing how the genre of rap is becoming more popular and important to people, and because of this my magazine 'wrapped up' fulfils the client brief.

Comments